A BRIEF HISTORY
A family-run pub steeped in history.
The earliest record relating to what is known as The Falcon Inn dates from 1758 although the village has had a number of breweries and cider houses from the 14th century.
The building which is now the Falcon Inn was allegedly kept as The New Inn at Mawgan Churchtown from 1779 to 1788, and it is likely that this was the inn which subsequently became The Gardeners' Arms and later The Falcon Inn.
In 1813 we find the first reference to The Gardeners' Arms with John Charles as proprietor. In 1829 John Charles advertised the sale of some 15,000 Cornish Elm seedlings in the Royal Cornish Gazette.
In 1835 George Bishop and his wife (Mary Gilbert) became landlords, to be succeeded four years later by Samuel Gilbert, Mary's brother. It was during this time that Samuel became famous for his beer making. He was a formidable wrestler and the Inn became well known for the staging of matches. Sometime around 1880 he changed the name of the inn to The Falcon Inn, both name and sign drawn from the coat of arms of the owners of the Estate.
During most of the 20th century one family took over the responsibility of the inn and this was the Fry family. The last incumbent Fry was in 1966. Some St Mawgan residents can still remember the time during the Frys' tenure when the present car park behind the school was the vegetable garden of The Falcon Inn, rendering it self-sufficient in such produce.
Jaimey and Steph, their two children Molly and Jack and not forgetting Peggy the Staffie look forward to welcoming you to their beautiful village pub.